Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

oral ulcers and the influence of stress

Hello doctor David. I have had what they call angular cheilitis. I read, it is not indicative for hiv, but prevalance in persons with hiv. This gives me fear. But when I get days of stress and fear, it becomes less and when the fear is away, after many days and I feel relaxed, it comes up again. Is the chemistry of stresshormones playing a role in the human immunesystem and a role in the cause or prolonged time of angular cheilitis? For the rest no complaines. I have no problems with teeth, no diabetis which could cause angular cheilitis. Only having angular cheilitis, can that be ars? Thank you for your time reading and answering this.

Response from Dr. Reznik

As you stated, there are several reasons why a person can present with angular cheilitis. You are also correct in that we do angular cheilitis frequently in immunocompromised persons, but this is by no means the only patient population this condition presents in.

Angular cheilitis, like all other oral manifestations seen in association with HIV-infection is not indicative or Acute retroviral Syndrome (ARS). Studies have not shown any link between oral manifestations and ARS.

Can stress be a factor in the presentation of angular cheilitis? Yes! Stress is a factor in many oral conditions such as oral ulcerations, dry mouth, etc.

I hope this information proves helpful!

DR

Erythematous Candidiasis
thrush resistant to several treatments