Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Diflucan

My doctor told me I had oral thrush a few months back, I asked for a hiv test...possible risk was over 2yrs ago, test was negative. He put me on Diflucan, it did nothing. Does this mean I was misdiagnosed with Thursh? I still have the burning tongue. No meds before that and Im female.

Thanks in advance

Response from Dr. Reznik

There are many reasons why a person can present with a burning tongue such as erythematous candidiasis (EC), dry mouth, food allergies, stress, allergies to toothpastes, etc. I believe your physician may have diagnosed your symptoms as erythematous candidiasis, which should have responded to Diflucan. Fluconazole (Diflucan) is a very effective systemic antifungal therapy which would easily manage EC. Actually, I very seldom prescribe Diflucan for EC due to the limited nature of this infection. For the vast majority of cases of EC, I prescribe a topical antifungal therapy such as clotrimazole.

I would not say you were mis-diagnosed as EC is a possible cause of your symptoms and diagnosis is usually made on the clinical appearance of the lesion taking into consideration the person's medical history. My advice would be to go back to your primary care provider and let him/her know that the treatment offered was not successful, therefore there must be another reason for your symptoms.

I hope this information proves helpful!

DR

Burning Mouth info posted incorrect
Erythematous Candidiasis