Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

worried!!!

Dear doctor I was checking the page HIVdent.org and saw the next picture where there are small red spots around the guy's tongue. I dont have the big red spot at the center of the tongue but do have more or less the same white tongue and the small spots which cause burning sensation. http://www.hivdent.org/slides/atrophic_candidiasis_tongue.htm My concern comes obviously from a possible exposure six months ago and that I've had many other symptoms related to hiv. I have 2 negs at 9 weeks and the other at 5 months though!!

Is it possible that my tongue looks like that 6 months after exposure?

Response from Dr. Reznik

Erythematous candidiasis is not a sign nor symptom of acute retroviral syndrome (ARS) and does not usually present at the 6 month period of time.

There are several reasons why your tongue can be symptomatic, including food or toothpaste allergies, dry mouth, smoking, drinking alcoholic beverages, etc. My advice would be to visit a dentist for an accurate diagnosis.

Take care,

DR

angular cheilitis and hiv.
Burning Mouth info posted incorrect