Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

worried!!!
Nov 4, 2001

Dear doctor I was checking the page HIVdent.org and saw the next picture where there are small red spots around the guy's tongue. I dont have the big red spot at the center of the tongue but do have more or less the same white tongue and the small spots which cause burning sensation. http://www.hivdent.org/slides/atrophic_candidiasis_tongue.htm My concern comes obviously from a possible exposure six months ago and that I've had many other symptoms related to hiv. I have 2 negs at 9 weeks and the other at 5 months though!!

Is it possible that my tongue looks like that 6 months after exposure?

Response from Dr. Reznik

Erythematous candidiasis is not a sign nor symptom of acute retroviral syndrome (ARS) and does not usually present at the 6 month period of time.

There are several reasons why your tongue can be symptomatic, including food or toothpaste allergies, dry mouth, smoking, drinking alcoholic beverages, etc. My advice would be to visit a dentist for an accurate diagnosis.

Take care,

DR

Previous
angular cheilitis and hiv.
Next
Burning Mouth info posted incorrect

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.