Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

angular cheilitis and hiv.

Hello doctor. After a possible risk of hiv-infection I developed 5,5 weeks later diarrhea and angular cheilitis. The diarrhea (not severe)lasts for 5 weeks. The angular cheilitis lasts for 7 weeks (going up and down.) I did a hiv-test at 11 weeks: results neg. At the moment of the test diarrhea was just gone away but not the AC. My question: If the ac is an ars-symptom, are there antibodies against hiv, when the ars exists allreaddy 5 weeks at the moment of testing? Thank you.

Response from Dr. Reznik

Angular cheilitis is not a symptom of ARS. The condition is frequently seen in the general population for a number of reasons including a loss in the vertical dimension of occlusion (which is common in older adults and people who grind their teeth.)

The reason that angular cheilitis is mentioned as an oral manifestation of HIV infection is due to the fact we see it more frequently in HIV positive individuals, but by no means is it only seen in this population.

I would continue to test out to the CDC recommended 24 week period and visit a dentist to determine the cause of your angular cheilitis.

DR

HOW TO AVOID THRUSH
worried!!!