Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

HOW TO AVOID THRUSH

HELLO DOCTOR, I AM HIV POSITIVE AND I AM TAKING PENICILLIN FOR MY DENTAL INFECTION, I AM VERY SCARED BECAUSE ANTIBIOTICS CAN TRIGGER TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF TRUSH, IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN AVOID OR PREVENT THRUSH FROM DEVELOPING. IS THERE ANY VITAMINS OR FOODS THAT I CAN TAKE THAT PREVENTS THRUSH, OR YEAST INFECTION? I READ THAT VIT. E & C CAN HELP MAINTAIN HEALTHY IMMUNE SYSTEM, DOES IT ALSO HELP TO MAINTAIN THE IMMNUE SYSTEM OF THOSE WHO ARE HIV POSITIVE? PLS. ANSWER ME..AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME...

Response from Dr. Reznik

There are certain steps you can take to prevent thrush (candidiasis) such as reducing the amount of sugar in your diet, brushing and flossing regularly. People have spoken of hte benefits of eating yogurt with active cultures as a means of preventing candidiasis as well.

Whereas it is true that the use of broad-spectrum antibiotics can lead to thrush, I have prescribed numerous antibiotics to people living with HIV/AIDS who have not developed candidiasis.

SO, take your vitamins, reduce your sugar intake, keep brushing and flossing and if your wear a denture or partials dentures, please clean it every day and soak it overnight in either PerioGard (0.12% chlorhexidine suspension) or for 30 minutes in a 10% bleach solution.

If you are very concerned about the development of thrush, you can rinse, twice a day, with PerioGard to help prevent this oral manifestation. PerioGard is an antimicrobial mouthrinse which does have antifungal properties.

I hope this helps!

DR

Thrush
angular cheilitis and hiv.