Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Symptoms of HIV

In November 2000 I had a dangerous liason.The female in question told me she did not have HIV. There was contact between my penis and the outside of her vagina before I used a condom to have intercourse. Unknown to me she was menstruating although the blood did not make contact with the opening of my penis due to the condom. Recently I have noticed oral thrush, have occasional small sweat like blisters on the bottom of one foot and have become itchy all over. Are this indicators of HIV infection ? Do you think I should have a Blood test? Thanks Doc

Response from Dr. Reznik

First of all there are numerous reasons why a person can present with thrush (candidiasis) including use of broad-spectrum antibiotics, steroid containing asthma inhalers, systemic corticosteroids, etc. The presence of thrush alone is not diagnostic of HIV infection.

With this said, I do recommend that you visit your primary care provider to rule out any sexually transmitted diseases; not because I suspect that you have an infection, but rather to rule this out as a possible cause of the symptoms you are reporting.

DR

oral ulcers
VERY STRESSED