Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

oral ulcers

Hi Doc!!! I was hoping you could help me with a particular oral problem I have been experiencing, and whether or not it could be related to an STD. For the past 4-5 years, on occasion, I will get little blood filled blister like bubbles on the inside of my cheek. More toward the back of my mouth. They don't hurt, and if I pick at them, or they are caught on my teeth as I chew, they will pop, and a little blood will come out. They then usually heal in a day or two. Well, over the past few months, maybe it is paranoia, but I have been getting rougher feeling ulcers in the same area, like skin is hanging off...I will pick at it, it will bleed, and it heals in a few days. I notice it more after I eat, like the lining of my cheek gets irritated. I have been tested for numerous STD's, and my last HIV test was at 22 weeks after a possible exposure. All negative. I am just wondering if these mouth ulcers are normal, could they be related to HIV or another STD? I get an occasional cold sore on the corner of my mouth, there small and go away with a little campho-phenique. I also get little canker sores inside my bottom lip, that stay longer, but I think that is because I accidentally bite them when I chew. Thanks for your help...just wondering because the little blisters, while strange, never bothered me...but the rougher patches seem odd.

Response from Dr. Reznik

What you have described sounds a good deal like the consequences of cheek-biting. It is not uncommon to see little red blisters near the bite line, which is the area on the buccal mucosa (cheek) that is adjacent to where the teeth come together. Most commonly, people do not realize they are cheek biting.

I would advise against "picking at them" as this can only increase the irritation to the area which may explain the roughness you are feeling.

Please take the time to have a dentist take a look at these areas. Your dental provider may be able to offer some suggestions as how best to prevent these occurrences.

Take care,

DR

i need help im loosing my teeth
Symptoms of HIV