Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Thrush and HIV Progression

Hi..How likely is it that thrush would be the only symptom a person has for over one year? I have symptoms of cheek biting and two little white strips that run along the sides of my tongue. They can be removed with thorough brushing but they will return sometimes after just a couple of hours. Also, the little strips burn..too rough with the toothbrush perhaps?? Also, will thrush come and go on it's own and will it get progressively worse with no treatment and time. One last question, can food allergies cause these types of mouth problems? I know this is long, but I have worried about this for a year now. Thank you for all your help..

Response from Dr. Reznik

Without trying to alarm the readers of this Forum, many of the initial signs and symptoms of HIV infection do present in the oral cavity first. There has even been discussion in the international arena to use oral opportunistic infections such as candidiasis and oral hairy leukoplakia as potential markers for HIV infection where diagnostic testing is not readily available. With this said, anyone who has a questionable area in their mouths should visit a dentist who has experience in oral medicine or oral pathology for an accurate diagnosis.

What you have described sounds like nothing more than the clinical results of cheek biting. People who tend to bite their cheeks very commonly develop white lines that upon close inspection will line up with where the teeth come together. Normally this line will not wipe or brush away. If you are experiencing burning in this area, it is quite possible that you are being a tad to aggressive with the toothbrush. The are a few different ways in which we attempt to alleviate cheek biting including adjusting the bite or fabricating a night guard.

To answer another part of your question, normally thrush will not go away on its own unless the underlying cause is addressed. In most cases, antifungal therapy such as Mycelex troches or Diflucan is required to address this oral infection.

Take care and make sure you have a dentist take a look!

Concerned
Open Mouth Sores And Kissing