Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Unknown Oral Infection

Dr. Reznik,

I am writing you about my Mom. She has a bad problem with her tongue. It separates and burns really bad after she eats. She has been to several doctors and no one seems to know what it is and she has no help. I am desperate to help my Mom, I hate seeing her suffer like this. She has lost over 30 pounds on account of not eating very much because of the pain. She is super thin. The inside of her lips are white and her tongue is red and separated and she says it burns really bad. Can you offer any help or suggestions? Thanks for taking the time to read this. Sincerely, Kelly

Response from Dr. Reznik

Dear Kelly:

As much as I would like to be of assistance, you have not given me a great deal of information to go on. I would strongly suggest you take your Mother to an oral pathologist or dentist experienced in oral medicine for an accurate diagnosis of what is causing this discomfort. In the meantime, I would suggest you look for an over-the-counter mouth rinse known as UlcerEase which will provide immediate relief. This is a soothing mouth rinse that many people use prior to eating. I have patients who swear by this product.

I hope this helps!

DR

hairy tongue or oral hairy leukoplakia
Worried - Need your help