Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Erythematous candidiasis?

Dear Dr.david A. Reznik,

I am an international grad. student in Atlanta from Mid-Europe. I am wondering if you could tell me that my symptoms are from Erythematous candidiasis or from geographic tongue? Around two months ago two dime size red spot came out on my tongue.It looked like that I lost my papillae at this area. It was not sensitive for salt or anything. Two weeks later my papillae started to grow back.But, a week later other one came out in a different location. It looks like the one that you have posted at your picture slide.I am not on any kind of medication and pretty much healthy except few yeast infections. Could you advise me whether I should see a dentist and who it should be or shall I just ignore it? Thanks for your help and keep up the good work.

Response from Dr. Reznik

One of the key elements that helps to differentiate between geographic tongue and erythematous candidiasis is the presence of white borders surrounding the lesion which is the case with geographic tongue. As you have accurately surmised, geographic tongue tends to express at different locations on the tongue.

The next time you have this occurrence I would suggest you visit an oral pathologist in the Atlanta area such as Dwight Weathers or Steve Budnick.

I hope this helps!

DR

GAY ORAL SEX AND DISEASES
any relation between thrush and systemic infections?