Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

I need your opinion!!!

Dear Doctor I have some symptoms in my mouth which are bothering me and I would like your opinion. Firstly my mouth seems quite dry all the time especially in the morning and my saliva is quite thick and milky.I have a whitish coating on my tongue which changes shape all the time and disappears and comes back again all the time ,I believe this is geographic tongue.If i bite my cheeks , it turns into canker sores and heals in about 2 weeks , but i also get one occasionally under my tongue.I have been very stressed and guilt stricken for the last 6 months as I have been afraid that I have got hiv infection.I have had tests at 1,2,3,4 months after exposure all were negative.I had another test at 5months and three weeks after exposure and also negative. Are these test results conclusive enough and is there a difference between a test at 5months and 3 weeks and the post 6 month test. Is stress and guilt causing these symptoms? Please advise me on what to do

Thanks

Response from Dr. Reznik

We do not know the actually cause of aphthous ulcers, which is probably what you are experiencing under your tongue, but we do know that stress, smoking and alcohol consumption increase the prevalence of these very painful ulcerations. Stress can also lead to dry mouth.

Whereas I am not expert in interpreting HIV test results, I would be pretty confident that I had not seroconverted if I had negative results after 5 months and 3 weeks.

I hope this helps!

DR

white dots on cheeks
oral fluids