Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Oral Lesion on nine year old boy

Dear Dr. Reznik,

I appreciate for your great contribution in providing such valuable information for the people in anxiety. I am 42 year old male who had very minor exposure to unknown HIV status and had negative result from 7,10 & 15 week ELISA test after possible exposure. What makes me to worry now is, my nine year old son has "0" size asymptomatic white patches on the tip of his tongue and curdish flat lesion along the lateral side of tongue and both side of buccal mucosa next to the lip. None of this lesion can be easily removed. He has no other symptom other than oral lesion and he is healthy boy and did not take any antibiotic medication for the last six month. I am anxious to know what this lesion can be and his primary doctor can not tell what this is but simply saying it is neither oral thrush nor Hairy Leukoplakia. I would be appreciated if you kindly advise me by return as to what should I do the next. Best regards,

Response from Dr. Reznik

There are several possibilities as to what may be causing the areas you have described ranging from hyper-keratotic tissue as a result of trauma or a reaction to a food, toothpaste, etc. As much as I would like to help, without the ability to see said areas, there isn't much I can do.

I would suggest that you visit any of the following: oral pathologist, dentist experienced in oral medicine, children's dentist experienced in oral medicine.

Take care,

DR

needlestick
is it possible