Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Oral Lesion on nine year old boy
Sep 27, 2000

Dear Dr. Reznik,

I appreciate for your great contribution in providing such valuable information for the people in anxiety. I am 42 year old male who had very minor exposure to unknown HIV status and had negative result from 7,10 & 15 week ELISA test after possible exposure. What makes me to worry now is, my nine year old son has "0" size asymptomatic white patches on the tip of his tongue and curdish flat lesion along the lateral side of tongue and both side of buccal mucosa next to the lip. None of this lesion can be easily removed. He has no other symptom other than oral lesion and he is healthy boy and did not take any antibiotic medication for the last six month. I am anxious to know what this lesion can be and his primary doctor can not tell what this is but simply saying it is neither oral thrush nor Hairy Leukoplakia. I would be appreciated if you kindly advise me by return as to what should I do the next. Best regards,

Response from Dr. Reznik

There are several possibilities as to what may be causing the areas you have described ranging from hyper-keratotic tissue as a result of trauma or a reaction to a food, toothpaste, etc. As much as I would like to help, without the ability to see said areas, there isn't much I can do.

I would suggest that you visit any of the following: oral pathologist, dentist experienced in oral medicine, children's dentist experienced in oral medicine.

Take care,

DR

Previous
needlestick
Next
is it possible

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.