Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

needlestick

Recently at work after giving my resident her insulin shot, she smacked the needle after I withdrew it from her stomach, and it stuck me in my index finger of my other hand. I was made by my employers to get an HIV/Hepatitis test the next day. When will I get my results back, and what is my likeliness of catching anything??

Response from Dr. Reznik

"Public Health Service Guidelines for the Management of Health-Care Worker Exposures to HIV and Recommendations for Post-Exposure Prophylaxis" can be accessed at the following URL:

http://www.hivdent.org/infctl1/exposure1.htm

I have included the summary as to give an idea of what is covered in this report.

SUMMARY

This report updates and consolidates all previous PHS recommendations for the management of health-care workers (HCWs) who have occupational exposure to blood and other body fluids that may contain human immunodeficiency virus (HIV); it includes recommendations for HIV postexposure prophylaxis (PEP) and discusses the scientific rationale for PEP. The decision to recommend HIV postexposure prophylaxis must take into account the nature of the exposure (e.g., needlestick or potentially infectious fluid that comes in contact with a mucous membrane) and the amount of blood or body fluid involved in the exposure. Other considerations include pregnancy in the HCW and exposure to virus known or suspected to be resistant to antiretroviral drugs.

I hope this proves helpful.

Sincerely,

DR

PLS. ANSWER, I KNOW YOU'RE BUSY!!!!!!!!!
Oral Lesion on nine year old boy