Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PLS. ANSWER, I KNOW YOU'RE BUSY!!!!!!!!!
Sep 27, 2000

Does OHL appear on the back of the tongue? My tongue is slightly coated and when I brush it, the coating doesn't come off, it just gets lighter. I can feel what I think are my taste buds on the back of my tongue and in the middle. Would OHL be "raised" in appearance and can one feel his/her taste buds with his/her finger. I've looked at all the slides on OHL and I haven't seen one that has OHL on the back of the tongue! This is driving me so crazy that I'm obsessed with your web site. I'm a nervous wreck. Please help me!!!! Thanks so much

Response from Dr. Reznik

OHL or Oral Hairy Leukoplakia is usually located on the lateral borders of the tongue and in severe cases can extend to the underside (lingual) or top (dorsal) surfaces of the tongue. I have seen literally hundreds of cases of OHL and have never seen a presentation on the posterior portion of the tongue. What you may be noticing are the large taste buds located in the posterior portion of the tongue known as circumvallate papillae.

I hope this helps!

DR

Sorry for the delay in responses these last few weeks, but my schedule has been a bit crazy.

Previous
Necrotizing Ulcerative Periodontitis
Next
needlestick

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.