Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

PLS. ANSWER, I KNOW YOU'RE BUSY!!!!!!!!!

Does OHL appear on the back of the tongue? My tongue is slightly coated and when I brush it, the coating doesn't come off, it just gets lighter. I can feel what I think are my taste buds on the back of my tongue and in the middle. Would OHL be "raised" in appearance and can one feel his/her taste buds with his/her finger. I've looked at all the slides on OHL and I haven't seen one that has OHL on the back of the tongue! This is driving me so crazy that I'm obsessed with your web site. I'm a nervous wreck. Please help me!!!! Thanks so much

Response from Dr. Reznik

OHL or Oral Hairy Leukoplakia is usually located on the lateral borders of the tongue and in severe cases can extend to the underside (lingual) or top (dorsal) surfaces of the tongue. I have seen literally hundreds of cases of OHL and have never seen a presentation on the posterior portion of the tongue. What you may be noticing are the large taste buds located in the posterior portion of the tongue known as circumvallate papillae.

I hope this helps!

DR

Sorry for the delay in responses these last few weeks, but my schedule has been a bit crazy.

Necrotizing Ulcerative Periodontitis
needlestick