Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Erythematous Candidiasis ????

Would it be feasible that I could have Erythematous Candidiasis for one whole year? Last September I developed what I feel is Erythematous Candidiasis but with little or no pain or burning, however after numerous doctor visits and lots of anxiety, I have had many different diagnosis's some of which are geographic tongue (totally different symptoms), scar tissue, normal pigment, etc. One doctor had even suggested a biopsy. As you might imagine I am concerned and confused, in my readings I've learned that Erythematous Candidiasis is commonly misdiagnosed. If it helps, I've seen several types of doctors including; my dentist, ENTs (both did swab cultures, with negative results), a Naturopath, dermatologists and my primary care physician. It does seem as though the portion of my tongue in questions almost flares up and reacts to stress, is this a known symptom? I greatly appreciate your feedback and advice. Many thanks!

Response from Dr. Reznik

To be frankly honest, I have never heard of a case of erythematous candidiasis (EC)lasting an entire year. As you have learned from your numerous visits to healthcare providers, there are several potential reasons why you have noticed a change in the appearance of your tongue. Since no one has been able to offer a definitive diagnosis, my recommendation would be to have a biopsy of your tongue. This would be the one course of action that would provide you with the information you seek. Although this sounds awfully painful, in reality they would only need to take a small amount of tissue (4 to 5 millimeters).

DR

are early manifestations permanent?
White Material in the Mouth