Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

coated tongue

Hi Doctor Reznik? You are doing an excellent job - keep it up! My question is, by the way I'm writing from South Africa, I have noticed whitish stuff at the back of my toungue for some three weeks. A few days ago when I rushed my mouth I concentrated in this stuff and made it to bleed. A sore has now occured at the back of my tounge on the left side of it and sallowing is rather painful. I'm +ve.

Response from Dr. Reznik

Chances are while attempting to remove the "coating" you brushed a bit too aggressively and injured this portion of your tongue. The key is for people with coated tongue, whether they are HIV positive or not, to gently brush the tongue every time you brush your teeth. This is both a good treatment for those with coated tongue and a good method to prevent presentation of this non-pathologic condition. You may wish to visit your local pharmacy or drug store to see if they carry tongue brushes which are specifically designed to address coated tongue.

Take care,

DR

Burning in Mouth ???
Canker Sores and HIV