Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

I BEG YOU TO REPLY!

I believe that we all know HIV infected blood become non infectious when dried. But for my case concerning a bottle of mineral water with infected blood in the water and I drink the whole bottle at least 5 minutes after the blood got into the bottle. Will I still be infected?

Please reply frankly thanks!

Response from Dr. Reznik

I am not sure I can answer this question because I cannot imagine how blood would get into a bottle of mineral water. I also do not know how much blood entered the container, the viral load of the person who had access to the bottled water prior to you and the condition of your oral cavity at the time of the potential exposure. All of these issues would need to be factored into the equation when looking at potential risk.

I can say, with some level of certainty, that if the quantity of blood was small, the viral load undetectable and your mucous membranes intact, that the risk of transmission would be very minimal.

My advice: please take the time to have an HIV diagnostic test to establish a baseline and if after counseling it is determined that you are at risk, to follow up at 3 and 6 months.

Take care,

DR

Angular Cheilitis, decreased immuunsystem means hiv?
STRESS AND ORAL THRUSH