The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Angular Cheilitis, decreased immuunsystem means hiv?
Sep 23, 2001

To doctor Reznik. Im worried about what I think I have allreaddy 4 weeks: Angular Chleilitis (inflammation and small sores, corners of the mouth, not severe, but still going on.) I read several reasons AC can occur. I can throw away them all (for my situation) exept one: decreased immuunsystem. And that makes me thinking and scaring about hiv. I do have only these small risks for hiv-infection: My urethra in contact with somebodys precum and sperm or precum on somebodys vinger came in contact with my anus (no penetration.) I have kissed a person I know he is hiv+ and he had sores at his mouthcorners (herpes or AC) My question: Can you get AC this way? Can one have an decreased immuunesystem not by hiv? Can stress play a role? I had stress, but in the period I became to feel well, it started, and now Im in stress again. I hope so you can help me to relativate this issue for me, as I`m constantly thinking about hiv. THANKS.

Response from Dr. Reznik

There are several reasons why a person can present with angular cheilitis including trauma, reduced vertical dimension of occlusion (the result of wearing your teeth or denture down), licking your lips on a cold winter day, immunocompromsing conditions such as HIV, diabetes, etc. Actually, angular cheilitis is frequently seen in the general population and is by no means indicative of HIV infection.

As I always state, if you are concerned about your HIV status, please take the time to be tested.



HIV meds and dental care

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint