Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Angular Cheilitis, decreased immuunsystem means hiv?

To doctor Reznik. Im worried about what I think I have allreaddy 4 weeks: Angular Chleilitis (inflammation and small sores, corners of the mouth, not severe, but still going on.) I read several reasons AC can occur. I can throw away them all (for my situation) exept one: decreased immuunsystem. And that makes me thinking and scaring about hiv. I do have only these small risks for hiv-infection: My urethra in contact with somebodys precum and sperm or precum on somebodys vinger came in contact with my anus (no penetration.) I have kissed a person I know he is hiv+ and he had sores at his mouthcorners (herpes or AC) My question: Can you get AC this way? Can one have an decreased immuunesystem not by hiv? Can stress play a role? I had stress, but in the period I became to feel well, it started, and now Im in stress again. I hope so you can help me to relativate this issue for me, as I`m constantly thinking about hiv. THANKS.

Response from Dr. Reznik

There are several reasons why a person can present with angular cheilitis including trauma, reduced vertical dimension of occlusion (the result of wearing your teeth or denture down), licking your lips on a cold winter day, immunocompromsing conditions such as HIV, diabetes, etc. Actually, angular cheilitis is frequently seen in the general population and is by no means indicative of HIV infection.

As I always state, if you are concerned about your HIV status, please take the time to be tested.

Sincerely,

DR

HIV meds and dental care
I BEG YOU TO REPLY!