Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

HPV in the mouth

I'm HIV positive with HPV lesions in the mouth (tongue and cheeks. I have been treated with bleomicine intra lesions, but it reappears.

What do you suggest?

I leave in Portugal.

Thanks a lot

Luis

Response from Dr. Reznik

Dear Luis:

HPV lesions or oral warts have become an increasing problem for people living with HIV disease in the last few years. The problem with all modalities of treatment is the same as you have mentioned: recurrence. This is the reason why I use cryosurgery or "freezing". This tends to be the least traumatic/painful means of addressing this problem. Examples of how this therapy is performed can be found in the HIVdent Picture Gallery in the Viral Section, Case Studies. Other providers use therapies ranging from laser surgery and surgical removal to topical therapies such as Aldara cream

Take care

DR

bumps on back of tongue -- warts?
Bleeding gums/transmission of HIV infection