Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Mouthwash
Apr 5, 1999

Are you familiar with a mouthwash called Verdesol. It claims to be anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. I am not sure about these claims, but I ( and my dentist) have notice a stopping of bone loss due to peridontal disease since I have been using it. Also, it does not contain alcohol. In your opinion, is that a good thing.

Response from Dr. Reznik

Are you familiar with a mouthwash called Verdesol. It claims to be anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. I am not sure about these claims, but I ( and my dentist) have notice a stopping of bone loss due to periodontal disease since I have been using it. Also, it does not contain alcohol. In your opinion, is that a good thing.

I have heard of Verdesol, an over-the counter mouthrinse which claims to have antibacterial and antifungal properties, in the past. A review of Medline revealed no information, so I too am curious as to the claims of antibacterial and antifungal properties of this mouthwash. Control of periodontal (gum) disease involves several factors such as improved home care, good professional therapy (root planing and scaling and periodontal maintenance) and control of underlying systemic illness such as HIV. Would I credit *any* mouthwash with the ability to stop periodontal disease without good hygiene and professional care:.....hardly.

The fact that this mouthwash is alcohol free is a good thing. Mouthwashes that are high in alcohol content can irritate the tissues within the oral cavity, even more so for people who live with dry mouth.

Keep up the good work!

DR

Previous
can u help
Next
bumps on back of tongue -- warts?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.