Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

can u help

hi, my doctor put me on a Sulfur antiobiotic and I developed a very bad area of redness ,pain and looks almost like peeling underneath my tongue (the bottom of my tongue not the floor of my mouth) It is very red and painful when i lift my tongue. I do not know if this is a reaction to the sulfur or a manisfestation of this disease i fear i have. I am very worried, i went off of the drug after taking it for 2 days and it is 3 days later and the redness /pain white peeling is only now beginning to feel slightly better. Can you give me advice?Tahnk You, You are doing a great job here.

Response from Dr. Reznik

Hi there,

There could be a few reasons why you have developed the redness/pain under your tongue:

Common side effects of sulphur containing antibiotics include: Skin rash; Stevens-Johnson syndrome; exfoliative dermatitis. It is possible that you were experiencing one of these adverse reactions. Even though you stopped the medication after two days, it would be reasonable to assume that the effects would be present for several more days. **I strongly advise that you visit your primary care provider to rule out an adverse reaction to the antibiotic**

There are several other potential reasons why you are experiencing the difficulties within your mouth ranging from something as common as an aphthous ulceration to a condition known as erosive lichen planus. Again, a visit to your primary care provider should provide some insight.

Keep me informed as to how you are doing or if I can be of further assistance.

DR

Mouth sores
Mouthwash