Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Oral HPV and imiquimod (Aldara)
Oct 8, 1999

Dear Dr. Reznik:

I'm a person living with HIV under HAART treatment, and currently my viral load is undetectable and my CD4 count is 450. My doctor has told me I have a HPV lesion in my mouth, next to the throat opening. Although it does not cause me any pain, I would like to have it removed. Aside from surgery or freezing with liquid nitrogen, I wonder if you believe treatment with imiquimod (Aldara) would be effective. I appreciate your advise.

Response from Dr. Reznik

Imiquimod 5% cream is a new compound which modifies the immune response by stimulating the production of interferon alpha and other cytokines. It has shown remarkable promise in the treatment of external genital and perianal warts when applied overnight, three times a week. It is also associated with a lower recurrence than those found with other current treatments.

I am not aware of any intraoral trials with this new medication which is indicated for the treatment of external warts. We have had excellent success utilizing cryotherapy for intraoral lesions. To see how we utilize this technique, please visit the following URL: http://www.hivdent.org/slides/cases/csindex01.htm

The advantages to cryotherapy are as follows:

1. not nearly as painful as more intrusive procedures such as surgical removal and laser therapy. We only use minimal anesthesia and rarely have to write for pain medications

2. recurrence seems to occur less with this technique.

I hope this information proves helpful!

DR

Previous
HPV care
Next
Bactrim with diflucan

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.