Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Oral herpes?
Feb 4, 2000

I have a skin legion on my top lip, I looks a bit like I am wearing lip liner! It tingles constantly. My tongue also feels scorched, like I have burnt it on a hot drink. A few weeks ago I had some l blisters on my top lip so I used some aciclovir cream and they cleared up. I went to my Drs and had a swap for herpes but it did not show up as herpes and my Doctor said that she didn't know what it is. However, it troubling me and I would like to find out what it might be and how I can treat it.

I have been HIV positive for 3 years and started AZT, 3TC and Viracept during seroconversion. My viral load is undetectable and T cell count is around 500, generally I am very healthy.

I would be grateful and appreciative of any information you may have

Response from Dr. Reznik

As I have stated before, I cannot give you an accurate diagnosis via this Forum, but hopefully I can lead you in the right direction. Herpetic lesions normally appear as "blisters" or ulcers on keratinized tissues such as the lip and roof of your mouth. Whereas I do not believe that acyclovir cream is a very effective means of treating oral herpetic lesions, you may have had enough benefit to reduce viral replication and therefore a negative HSV culture.

There are several possibilities as to what may be causing the present condition on your lip including another herpetic ulcer or HPV (papillomavirus). I suggest that you visit an infectious disease physician or dentist experienced in oral medicine/pathology for an accurate diagnosis. The problem you describe with your tongue sounds very much like erythematous candidiasis, which normally appears as a red, flat subtle lesion on the dorsal (top) surface of the tongue and/or hard palate. Erythematous candidiasis (EC) tends to be symptomatic, with the chief complaint being a burning. It is possible to see EC in people with CD4 counts as high as yours, but usually there is a detectable viral load. Treatment for EC should almost always be with topical antifungals such as Mycelex troches.

It may be helpful for you to visit the HIVdent Picture Gallery for examples of EC, HPV and herpetic ulcers.

I hope this helps!

DR

Previous
HIVID & Canker sores
Next
HIV ORAL MANIFESTATIONS

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.