Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

OHL question-please respond

Dear Dr, I have written in before. 4 months ago had what appeared to be OHL (classic, non-removable bright white coating on the sides of my toungue) It went away in a few days-no biopsy done. Have had every known hiv test--all negative. I have also had many other s/sx but won't bore you .....my main concern is the OHL which I know is practically definitive of HIV. I read one of your postings that said there have been a few cases of non hiv OHL. Could you please tell me where I can find that info or possibly tell me more? I am a nurse so technical articles are accessable.......

By the way, your detailed and kind answers are a real lifeline to many people. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Reznik

Thank you for your kind comments regarding this Forum!

Before I address your question, it is vital that I make one very important point: there are not any oral manifestations seen in association with HIV/AIDS that are solely seen in people living with HIV/AIDS.

For detailed information on the occurrence of oral hairy leukoplakia in HIV negative individuals, please visit Medline (located at http://www.hivdent.org/maingmed.htm) and type in oral hairy leukoplakia on one line and HIV negative in the next line. This search will produce many sources of information which should address your question.

Take care,

DR

leukoplakia
OHL = HIV?