Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

leukoplakia ?

Dear Doctor Reznik

A small lump has appeared on the upper inner lining of my lip. The small lump is painless and has whitish tissue in the core. The lesion swells up for a week before it ruptures. It has been appearing at the same place since last Christmas. The outer diameter is a reddish circle. I had been to a Otorhinolaryngologist who has failed to diagnose it to my satisfaction. The biopsy results state that the lesion is benign.

I did some research on my own and I am afraid that the symptoms match those of leukoplakia. Do you think I should have it examined by a specialist ?

My doctor has prescribed Zovirax.

I would appreciate any kind advise.

Thanks

Response from Dr. Reznik

What you describe does not sound like leukoplakia, which normally would appear as a white rough area, not a bump. It is a bit difficult to tell exactly where you "bump" is from this question, but a biopsy should have shown herpes virus if present, which is what Zovirax is effective against. Herpetic outbreaks can begin as fluid filled vesicles that break open leaving a crusted area. Since this is not what you have described, I would suggest you visit one of the following: an oral surgeon who can re-biopsy the area, or a dentist who is experienced in oral medicine or oral pathology. A dentist with expertise in this area would be better suited to diagnose a problem in the mouth.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

DR

please let me help
Hairy Tongue and OHL