Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Still not symtpoms after 13 years? I'm still not convinced..
Apr 13, 1999

I have been in a monogomous relationship for almost 13 years now. About 14 years ago, I did have unprotected sex. I am petrified that I may still develop aids symptoms and I have tried to be tested twice, but can't bring myself to go in for the results. Believe me, I've tried. I have geographic tongue, contact dermatits, get a cold sore usually once a year, and a cold usually twice a year. When I start really worrying, I sometimes get diarrhea for a day or two. Usually I am consipated. Otherwise, I feel great. I am totally obsessed with my health and can't stop thinking about "what if". Do any of these symptoms mean I could have hiv? My husband also get canker sores 2 or 3 times a year. I think I am going to loose it pretty soon and I really need some advice. Could I be positive after this time and only have the above symptoms? Do you progressively get sicker during the average 10 year period or just BANG-you've got everything? Please help..I can't sleep.

Response from Dr. Reznik

Dear "Still not convinced":

Geographic tongue is a condition which usually does not effect children, but shows up after a person has reached their 20's. The cause of this disorder is not understood. I am unaware of any relationship between HIV and this condition. For the most part, geographic tongue can be asymptomatic, but if it does cause symptoms there are measures which can be taken to reduce the inflammation and discomfort seen.

Cold sores, or aphthous ulcers, again is a condition where we do not know the cause. These painful ulcers occur in people that are HIV+ as well as HIV-. Stress is often seen in association with these ulcers, which is why they are commonly seen in college age students. Cold sores alone are not diagnostic of HIV infection, even though they are seen in seroconversion illness and throughout the disease process. Many times aphthous ulcerations in people living with AIDS are bigger, more painful and last longer than those seen in those without this disease.

I am not qualified to discuss contact dermatitis in any detail, but suffice it to say that this condition is seen in many people who are not HIV+.

Again, I know how difficult it can be to go in and get tested for HIV, but the only way to be sure about your status is through this process.

I hope this helps!

DR

Previous
Worried Wife and Mother
Next
What does this mean

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.