Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Worried Wife and Mother

I'm 32 female, married with 3 children. 1 1/2 years ago I had an affair with a man I didn't know well. I met him in a club and was very attracted to him. My marriage at the time was falling apart, and I let my pain take over my mind. 1 1/2 years later I became very sick with a cold that just wouldn't let go of me. My doctor put me on some antibiotics that later gave me a bad reaction 3 1/2 days later. I couldn't get a hold of my doctor at the time, so I went to the hospital. I told the nurse I had been sick and my doctor had given me some medicine and I had became very nausious. ( by the way my doctor had dignosed me with broncitis and a sinus infection) The hospital had drew blood from me and told me they were sending it to the lab, and if my medication needed to be changed, or if something else was detected that was causing my illness, I would be notified in three days. PLEASE, if you can answer this question, I would be most thankful. ( If I were Hiv positive would the hospital have found it in my blood work?)

Response from Dr. Reznik

I do not believe the series of events you have described would have led the hospital to check your HIV status. In most if not all instances, they would have to consent and counsel you before performing an HIV test. Most likely they used sample of your blood to check for your white blood cell count, hemoglobin, hematocrit, etc., or what we call a CBC and differential.

If you are concerned about your HIV status, please visit your physician and request the test. There are also anonymous testing sites available in most states as well

Take care,

DR

HIV symptoms?
Still not symtpoms after 13 years? I'm still not convinced..