The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

worry of infection
Feb 11, 2000

hello doc!

About a month and a half ago, I had received an oral sex from a stranger whom I suspected to be in high risk group (from his life-story). On that day of oral-sex took place, I'd found an open sore on my penis. I am very worried now and wonder is there any possibility of hiv infection if the performer had a bleeding in his mouth. I have gone for 'anti-body for hiv' test recently and it's negative. Is the test is too early for me or I've to wait for another 5 months to reconfirm it? Please advise! Thanks.

Response from Dr. Reznik

There has been a great deal of publicity surrounding new findings regarding transmission of HIV via oral intercourse. The following is a brief summary of the findings:

A study conducted by researchers the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the University of California at San Francisco shows that oral sex is a frequent method of spreading HIV. Oral sex was the likely cause of 8 percent of recent HIV infections in a group of 102 gay and bisexual men in San Francisco. The only risk behavior found in eight of the men was oral sex, which they thought had little or no risk. The scientists concluded that the men must have contracted HIV through giving oral sex, not receiving it, without using a condom.

Due to the fact there was a break in the skin of your penis during oral intercourse, there is a yet undefinable chance that transmission could occur. My advice would be to follow through with testing at the six month interval.

Take care,


oral sex
please post, i'm worried

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint