Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Worried and can't sleep or function

Dear Dr.,

I recently went out for a night on the town. I met a guy at the bar and became attracted to him. Although, nothing seriously happened we shared a few seconds of deep intimate kissing. At the time, on the inside of my mouth, I had bitten my cheek and it was healing. I did not know this guy and don't know if he even is HIV. I cannot sleep for fear of contracting HIV through this experience. Please answer me..do I need to be tested and, if so, how soon? I am too scared to kiss my children or my husband. Your answer would help me so much.

Response from Dr. Reznik

There is only one case of oral transmission of HIV via deep kissing that I am aware of and in this case, both participants had active bleeding in their mouths at the time of the encounter. If this is your only potential exposure, I would not recommend that you be tested for HIV infection.

Take care,

DR

KISSING????
bleeding gums?