Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

herpes and transmission

I read that the presence of herpes or other stds, even though not active ,can increase the possibility of hiv transmission.Would oral herpes make casual contact such as sharing drinks with + person a risk for transmission?

Response from Dr. Reznik

It is true that the presence of other STDs increase the possibility of HIV transmission. To answer your question though, if a person with active oral herpes shares a glass or eating utensil with someone who is HIV+, there is not an increased chance of transmission. HIV is not transmitted via casual contact such as the sharing of utensils or drinking glasses, even under the circumstances you have described.

Take care,

DR

Being a Carrier
Please answer me I'm worry