Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

white lines 2

Sorry to insist asking again with a question. I asked you before and you haven't responded perhaps because of my sloppy English (Englisg is my sencond language).

Almost for a month now I've observed two white lines on both sides inside my cheecks (close to my wisdom teeth)I went to the dentist and asked if could be OHL. He said that what I have is common but since the lines haven't gone away I am TERRIFIED and will have to visit an OS for a biopsy. My question is the following: Does OHL appears in the tongue or in other places as well? Does OHL resemble white lines or could be just cheeck biting. The dermatologist says is cheeck bitting but he is not able to tell my for sure since he is not able to perform a biopsy. Thanks in advanace for your answer.

Response from Dr. Reznik

Oral hairy leukoplakia (OHL) as it relates to HIV infection, normally appears on the lateral borders of the tongue. There are many examples of this oral manifestation located in the HIVdent Picture Gallery located at the following URL: http://www.hivdent.org/slides/index.htm. What you are describing does sound very much like cheek biting.

Cheek biting appears as white lines normally adjacent to the line where your teeth come together and is quite common. I would highly suspect that your dermatologist and dentist are correct in their diagnosis and would only proceed with a biopsy if they suggest it.

Take care and sorry for the delay in responding to your question.

DR

canker sores and ohl
White spots