Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

white lines 2
May 27, 1999

Sorry to insist asking again with a question. I asked you before and you haven't responded perhaps because of my sloppy English (Englisg is my sencond language).

Almost for a month now I've observed two white lines on both sides inside my cheecks (close to my wisdom teeth)I went to the dentist and asked if could be OHL. He said that what I have is common but since the lines haven't gone away I am TERRIFIED and will have to visit an OS for a biopsy. My question is the following: Does OHL appears in the tongue or in other places as well? Does OHL resemble white lines or could be just cheeck biting. The dermatologist says is cheeck bitting but he is not able to tell my for sure since he is not able to perform a biopsy. Thanks in advanace for your answer.

Response from Dr. Reznik

Oral hairy leukoplakia (OHL) as it relates to HIV infection, normally appears on the lateral borders of the tongue. There are many examples of this oral manifestation located in the HIVdent Picture Gallery located at the following URL: http://www.hivdent.org/slides/index.htm. What you are describing does sound very much like cheek biting.

Cheek biting appears as white lines normally adjacent to the line where your teeth come together and is quite common. I would highly suspect that your dermatologist and dentist are correct in their diagnosis and would only proceed with a biopsy if they suggest it.

Take care and sorry for the delay in responding to your question.

DR

Previous
canker sores and ohl
Next
White spots

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.