Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

canker sores and ohl

hello doctor, i was wondering if a canker sore and oral hairy leukoplatia can look similar since i frequently get these sores on the side of my tongue.so far i'm hiv- but hese sores have me concerned.thanx for taking time to awnser my question your doing a great job.

Response from Dr. Reznik

Oral hairy leukoplakia appears as a white corrugated lesion which normally appears on the sides of the tongue. In other words this is a rough looking, non-painful, non-removable patch on the lateral borders of the tongue. An example of this manifestation can be found at the following URL: http://www.hivdent.org/slides/hl_mild_to_moderate3.htm.

Canker sores, or aphthae, are ulcerations which normally appear on non-keratinized tissues including portions of the lateral border of the tongue, floor of the mouth, buccal mucosa, etc. For an example of aphthous ulcers, please visit this URL: http://www.hivdent.org/slides/minor_aphthous_ulcer.htm

To answer your question directly, oral hairy leukoplakia and canker sores are not similar in appearance.

Take care,

DR

What are the Odds
white lines 2