Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

What are the Odds

How common is thush in HIV- persons? Or to ask differently - If an otherwise seemingly healthy individual who is not using inhalers, anti-biotics, chemotherapy, etc, and has not been diagnosed with diabetes presents with oral candida, what are his/her odds that they are HIV+? Would one expect to find swollen lymph nodes by the time Candida developes in an HIV+ person -- in other words, would the presence/absence of swollen lymph nodes affect the odds in the above hypothetical case?

Response from Dr. Reznik

This is a very difficult question to answer without having the opportunity to look at a complete medical work-up of the individual in question. Also, I am unaware of any publication which would answer the question you pose as to the odds of someone being HIV+ if they presented with candidiasis. I believe the presence or absence of swollen lymph nodes would not be an important factor in determining a person's HIV status. The only way to be sure of your HIV status would be to undergo a diagnostic test.

Sorry that I cannot be of further assistance.

DR

difficulty Swallowing?
canker sores and ohl