Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

difficulty Swallowing?

Is difficulty swallowing associated with ARS (or AVS whoever you ask...) There is no sensation of soreness, no burning, and the patient smokes. I feel as though it is due to the smoking, but he seems to be uncertain (and as he is a nurse made me uncertain)that he may have put himself into a 'low risk' situation for contracting HIV.

Response from Dr. Reznik

The symptoms most commonly associated with acute retroviral syndrome are fever and lymphadenopathy. Other symptoms commonly seen with acute infection are as follows: fatigue, diarrhea, rash, pharyngitis, headache, having mouth ulcers, thrush, nausea and vomiting. Symptoms normally occur 2 to 4 weeks after the exposure and usually last 1 - 2 weeks. I would not consider difficulty swallowing, by itself, a sign of acute retroviral infection.

Take care,

DR

Mouth sore questions
What are the Odds