Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HOW EARLY CAN ORAL MANIFESTATIONS BEGIN?
Aug 26, 1999

HELLO, DOCTOR. THANK YOU FOR YOUR WONDERFUL WORK. I'M SOMEWHAT CONFUSED BETWEEN ALL THE INFORMATION THAT IS AVAILABLE. SOME SOURCES SEEM TO INDICATE THAT PRIMARY INFECTION IS CHARACTARIZED ONLY BY FLU LIKE SYMPTOMS AND POSSIBLY A RASH. OTHER SOURCES SEEM TO ADD THAT SYMPTOMS SUCH AS ORAL MANIFESTATIONS MAY BE PRESENT EVEN DURING THE INITIAL PRIMARY INFECTION PHASE (AS OPPOSED TO PRESENTING AS THE DESEASE PROGESSES. SO, WHICH IS IT? CAN ONE PRESENT MOUTH SORES VERY EARLY ON, OR DOES THIS HAPPEN IN THE "SECOND PHASE" THAT SEEMS TO BEGIN YEARS AFTER INFECTION? THANK YOU!!!

Response from Dr. Reznik

Actually, it is possible to have oral ulcers or even candidiasis during sero-conversion illness as well as the flu-like symptoms, rash etc. The patients that I see all have low T-cell counts (less than 200). These people are much more likely to present with oral manifestations.

I think a key issue to point out is that the ulcers you refer to in sero-conversion illness, are possible, but by themselves are not diagnostic of HIV infection.

Take care,

DR

Previous
Please answer this I'm worried
Next
can vaginal thrush lead to oral thrush?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.