Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Herpes of the Throat

Is it possible to have recurrent herpes at the base of the throat and, if so, would it produce excruciating and incapacitating headaches?

Response from Dr. Reznik

For the most part, herpetic infections of the oral cavity occur on keratinized tissues such as the gingiva (gums) and hard palate (roof of the mouth). Whereas it is possible to have a herpetic outbreak in the posterior oropharynx, I would be more suspicious that you are experiencing recurrent outbreaks of aphthous ulcerations. I suggest that you visit a dentist experienced in oral medicine/oral pathology or an Ear, Nose, and Throat physician.

Take care,

DR

Herpes
HIVDent Picture Part II