Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please DR. Reznik
Jul 3, 2001

Dr. reznik

I ahve read your responses on recieving oral sex and figure you would be the most knowlegeable for my question. You and others state that there is really no risk as long as the person does not have visible blood. are there cases that involve blood? The only time I have seen blood in anyones mouth was if they were hit. If the person was bleeding a little wouldnt their saliva inactivate the virus? recieving oral sex was my only exposure years ago but now I am a little worried and too scared to get myself tested. Please i need your opinion on this

Response from Dr. Reznik

Whereas oral intercourse has been shown to be a mode of transmission for HIV, those who are usually at risk are those performing oral intercourse, not receiving.

It is true that there are properties within saliva that do bond with HIV, thus inactivating it. The level of protection would depend on the amount of blood present. If the protective barrier (skin) of the penis is intact, the chances of transmission are extremely small.

I know that getting tested for HIV is not an easy thing to do for all people, but I very strongly believe that if a person believes they may be at risk, the only way to know for sure is to undergo the test. This gives you the opportunity to know your actual status and move forward with life.

Sincerely,

DR

Previous
antibiotics for thrush
Next
HIV meds and dental care

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.