Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Please DR. Reznik

Dr. reznik

I ahve read your responses on recieving oral sex and figure you would be the most knowlegeable for my question. You and others state that there is really no risk as long as the person does not have visible blood. are there cases that involve blood? The only time I have seen blood in anyones mouth was if they were hit. If the person was bleeding a little wouldnt their saliva inactivate the virus? recieving oral sex was my only exposure years ago but now I am a little worried and too scared to get myself tested. Please i need your opinion on this

Response from Dr. Reznik

Whereas oral intercourse has been shown to be a mode of transmission for HIV, those who are usually at risk are those performing oral intercourse, not receiving.

It is true that there are properties within saliva that do bond with HIV, thus inactivating it. The level of protection would depend on the amount of blood present. If the protective barrier (skin) of the penis is intact, the chances of transmission are extremely small.

I know that getting tested for HIV is not an easy thing to do for all people, but I very strongly believe that if a person believes they may be at risk, the only way to know for sure is to undergo the test. This gives you the opportunity to know your actual status and move forward with life.

Sincerely,

DR

antibiotics for thrush
HIV meds and dental care