Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

tooth need to be taken out!

yes I am HIV positive but my virol load is undetecedible but my cd4cells are only at 54 is it bad ideal to undergo oral surery where I am put to sleep! to have a tooth taken out. am worried because me immune system is low! should I wait till my numbers improve.

Response from Dr. Reznik

As I believe I may have previously mentioned, the National Institute of Dental Research, recently published an Evidence-based Report on the Dental Management of HIV Positive Patients. Including in this manuscript is a section on oral surgery and potential post operative complications for people living with AIDS. What the evidence revealed is that when adjusting for smoking, drinking alcoholic beverages, etc. there was not a significant difference in the amount or severity of complications following oral surgical procedures. Simply put, you should do fine during and after the procedure. It is better to remove a source of potential infection and/or pain than to wait for a rise in your CD4 count.

Take care,

DR

thrush or aphthous ulcerations?
glad youre back doctor