Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

thrush in the throat

Dear Dr.: What are the symptoms if thrush occurs in the throat. My throat has burning sensation for almost a year. I also feel pain in the middle of my chest, sometimes even in the center of my back. That terriable feelings sometimes make me carzy and panic. I got swab culture for fungus, it didn't show anything. I got negative results for HIV antibody tests several times. I took mycelex, it didn't help. What should I do? Do endoscopy like you said? Please help. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Reznik

The symptoms of "thrush in the throat" or esophageal candidiasis are usually difficult (dysphagia) or painful (odynophagia) swallowing, "sticking" of food, or midline retrosternal pain and burning. Odynophagia or pain associated with swallowing is often indicative of ulcerative esophageal disease, such as CMV, HSV, or idiopathic ulceration.

It is important, as always, to point out the this forum is not intended to replace the care you receive at the local level. With this in mind, I would suggest that you visit your primary care physician and discuss endoscopy. There are several other potential causes of your symptoms which may become readily apparent with aa scope.

I hope you feel better soon!

DR

PS Whereas Mycelex troches are an excellent therapy for mild to moderate oral candidiasis (thrush), this medication is not recommended for esophageal candidiasis.

Thrush?
Candida Queen