Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

thrush in the throat
Dec 24, 1999

Dear Dr.: What are the symptoms if thrush occurs in the throat. My throat has burning sensation for almost a year. I also feel pain in the middle of my chest, sometimes even in the center of my back. That terriable feelings sometimes make me carzy and panic. I got swab culture for fungus, it didn't show anything. I got negative results for HIV antibody tests several times. I took mycelex, it didn't help. What should I do? Do endoscopy like you said? Please help. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Reznik

The symptoms of "thrush in the throat" or esophageal candidiasis are usually difficult (dysphagia) or painful (odynophagia) swallowing, "sticking" of food, or midline retrosternal pain and burning. Odynophagia or pain associated with swallowing is often indicative of ulcerative esophageal disease, such as CMV, HSV, or idiopathic ulceration.

It is important, as always, to point out the this forum is not intended to replace the care you receive at the local level. With this in mind, I would suggest that you visit your primary care physician and discuss endoscopy. There are several other potential causes of your symptoms which may become readily apparent with aa scope.

I hope you feel better soon!

DR

PS Whereas Mycelex troches are an excellent therapy for mild to moderate oral candidiasis (thrush), this medication is not recommended for esophageal candidiasis.

Previous
Thrush?
Next
Candida Queen

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.