Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Is what i have erythematous candidiasis or just burnt mouth

About eight months ago i tested negative for HIV. My primary care physician assures me, my sexual activity was low risk and I shouldn't worry, but i still do.

Like much of the U.S. population i have been fighting off cold and flu this holiday season. My throat has been sore and it at times hurts to swallow. When i looked at my mouth today, towards the back of my tongue on each side, were slightly raised red lesions, that hurt if i touched them or swallowed. When looking at pictures of erythematous candidiasis they looked something like that (except more towards the sides). Also, several days ago, I scorched my tongue terribly while tasting tomato sauce off the top of the oven. Would a burnt tongue look similar and feel similar to erythematous candidiasis?

Thanks for your help.

Response from Dr. Reznik

A burnt tongue would be very similar to the look of erythematous candidiasis and somewhat similar in regards to symptoms. The difference lies in the fact that the symptoms associated with a burnt tongue will usually clear up after a day or so. Erythematous candidiasis, in persons who are at risk, will not clear up without the use of topical antifungal medications such as Mycelex troches, unless there has been a change in the underlying condition which has lead to the occurrence of this oral manifestation.

Take care and feel better soon!

DR

HIV symptom or bad toothpaste
Help! Please answer... I am worried