The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is what i have erythematous candidiasis or just burnt mouth
Jan 19, 2000

About eight months ago i tested negative for HIV. My primary care physician assures me, my sexual activity was low risk and I shouldn't worry, but i still do.

Like much of the U.S. population i have been fighting off cold and flu this holiday season. My throat has been sore and it at times hurts to swallow. When i looked at my mouth today, towards the back of my tongue on each side, were slightly raised red lesions, that hurt if i touched them or swallowed. When looking at pictures of erythematous candidiasis they looked something like that (except more towards the sides). Also, several days ago, I scorched my tongue terribly while tasting tomato sauce off the top of the oven. Would a burnt tongue look similar and feel similar to erythematous candidiasis?

Thanks for your help.

Response from Dr. Reznik

A burnt tongue would be very similar to the look of erythematous candidiasis and somewhat similar in regards to symptoms. The difference lies in the fact that the symptoms associated with a burnt tongue will usually clear up after a day or so. Erythematous candidiasis, in persons who are at risk, will not clear up without the use of topical antifungal medications such as Mycelex troches, unless there has been a change in the underlying condition which has lead to the occurrence of this oral manifestation.

Take care and feel better soon!


HIV symptom or bad toothpaste
Help! Please answer... I am worried

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint