Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

HIV symptom or bad toothpaste

Dear Dr.

About six weeks ago I bought this over the counter tooth whitening toothpaste set (Rembrandt). I used according to directions, i.e use one tube for a week. The tube is a toothpaste and a bleaching gel in one. I used it for about 10 days and every each use I wouldn't rinse for atleast 10 minutes. After about 10 days, I stopped using it because it was causing my mouth to go dry and was roughing my gums which eventually developed minor cracks. A week after stopping, I noticed dry rough patches on the inside of my cheeks. Inintially it seemed a little grey but later I think it started to heal and its still healing about six weeks later. This problem also surfaced on the other side of my cheek as well as inside the lower mouth cavity region. Six weeks ago I also had an encounter with a stripper who stuck an ice-cube in my mouth wiht her tongue and then took it back out. I'm really worried sick thinking about it I could have caught hiv from this person? What do u think? Thanks for your help.

Response from Dr. Reznik

My first concern would be that you have had a reaction to the toothpaste. I can still remember one of the oral pathology questions for the Georgia Board of Dentistry's credentialing exam . The slide pictured was that of a bright red mouth, with numerous areas of irritation. The answer to the question was adverse reaction to toothpaste. If this is the case, first and foremost do not use this product again until you have consulted with a dental care professional. In the meantime, there should be a phone number on the tube containing the toothpaste for the manufacturer if you have a problem; I would definitely suggest you call.

I hope this helps!

DR

HIV symptoms in my mouth
Is what i have erythematous candidiasis or just burnt mouth