Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

HIV symptoms in my mouth

Hello Doctor,

I have White rings in my mouth with slight red inside. It widens in diameter and then vanishes in 4to 5 days. Some If I brush the red portion gives slight pain. Is it THrush ? I had protected sex with a prostitute 3 months back. Is it a symptom for HIV

Your answer will relieve me a lot. I also have white coating in my tongue.

Response from Dr. Reznik

Whereas I am unable to give you an accurate diagnosis via this Forum, and suggest that you visit a dentists experienced in oral pathology or oral medicine, what you describe does not sound like candidiasis, but rather geographic tongue.

If what you are describing is geographic tongue, the answer to the second part of your question: "Is it a symptom for HIV" would be no. Whereas we do see geographic tongue in all patient populations, including those living with HIV/AIDS, this autoimmune disorder is not a sign nor a symptom of HIV infection.

Take care and see an oral health professional who can help with this diagnosis.

DR

Found Someone To Turn To
HIV symptom or bad toothpaste