Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

hi doc

i went to see the oral pathologist today i advised him of my many symptoms burning mouth,white tongue,he said my tongue and mouth were fine,he just looked he didnt perform any test.do u think a doctor can just look and say everything fine.

Response from Dr. Reznik

This is a very good question: can a doc just take a look and formulate a diagnosis? If the provider took the time to review your medical history, performed a thorough visual exam and has the expertise, the answer is yes. For example, you can culture for erythematous candidiasis, but for the most part diagnosis is made on appearance alone, taking into consideration the person's medical history. Also, there are times that tests can be misleading. Approximately 60% of the population will culture out for candida. Does a positive culture for candida mean that the person has candidiasis (thrush)? The answer is no. The provider would need to take into consideration the appearance of the mouth and other factors.

I hope this helps!

DR

DIFFERENCE IN COATED TONGUE AND THRUSH AND LEUKOPLAKIA
symptoms turn out after 40 hours