Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Suspected Herpes

Hi Doc My 10 year old daughter had an outbreak which started at the corners of the mouth and spread as small fluid vesicles all over the chin. Despite consultation with a dermatologist and use of antibiotics they keep on spreading. I don't have access to a good oral surgeon, so could you please advise whether it could be herpes or what are the other possiblities. Secondly do children get herpes without an underlying cause.

Response from Dr. Reznik

For the lesions you have described on your daughter's chin, I would advise that you visit her primary care physician or return to the original dermatologist for follow up. It would be easy to check and see, via culture, if the lesions are viral or bacterial in nature.

Take care,

DR

Herpes simplex type I and HIV
DIFFERENCE IN COATED TONGUE AND THRUSH AND LEUKOPLAKIA