Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Geographic Tongue and more

I just wrote you and got bounced off line don't know if it went through. If it did please disregard this. Sorry. I am writing because I developed geographic tongue 18 months ago. At around the same time I began itching all over and breaking out in rashes on my stomach and back and having joint pain in both elbows and left knee. The joint pain is severe. Also have lost patches of hair on my legs. I am worried because this was a few weeks after a low risk encounter with another man (I am gay). I also had a low WBC (3.9)for 10 months after the encounter and it came back up to normal range. I know you say geographic tongue is not indicative of HIV infection but is it associated with any other infection or illness? Do people, when developing geographic tongue, have other skin conditions like what I noted or other joint pains? I am getting really worried. I have been tested for HIV and just got my most recent results back yesterday(negative) at 18 months. Also have been tested for all other STD's and Hep. I hope this wasn't too long. Please respond I don't know who else to ask. I asked on another forum on the body that deals with this but got no response after 3 weeks. Thank-you.

Response from Dr. Reznik

I suggest that you visit a Rheumatologist, as you may be suffering from a systemic autoimmune disease, which would be consistent with the symptoms you describe.

I hope you feel better soon and please visit the specialist soon!

DR

My geographic tongue doesn't go away
Teenager going crazy...could I be a hypochondriac?