Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

confused

thanks for reponding to my question is xerostomia confirmed by a urine analyses or just by appearance and symptom,would being a smoker make my mouth dry along with alot of anxiety over hiv infection i recenlty tested neg in jan.i have one thing its like i dont have much saliva in my mouth and saliva i have fizzlles i know sound stupid but its like when you put alkaseltzer in water any ideas,lately i have been getting nauseas in the morning and i do sleep with mouth open my doctor thinks i should sleep with head more upright and i do have a terrible taste in my mouth thank you for time and i hope you repond

Response from Dr. Reznik

Hi there:

The three things that you list can and do cause xerostomia:

smoking anxiety mouth breathing (sleeping with your mouth open)

All of these can be factors in the development of dry mouth. A common side effect of xerostomia is a bad taste in the mouth or bad breath. This is because without the normal washing action of saliva within the oral cavity, bacteria can build up on the papillae of the tongue as well as any grooves or fissures. That is why it is very important to brush your tongue (gently) every time you brush your teeth. This brushing action, along with attempts to stay well hydrated, well help eliminate the bad odor within your mouth.

Take care,

DR

DRY EYES/MOUTH
can u help me please