Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

confused
Apr 13, 1999

thanks for reponding to my question is xerostomia confirmed by a urine analyses or just by appearance and symptom,would being a smoker make my mouth dry along with alot of anxiety over hiv infection i recenlty tested neg in jan.i have one thing its like i dont have much saliva in my mouth and saliva i have fizzlles i know sound stupid but its like when you put alkaseltzer in water any ideas,lately i have been getting nauseas in the morning and i do sleep with mouth open my doctor thinks i should sleep with head more upright and i do have a terrible taste in my mouth thank you for time and i hope you repond

Response from Dr. Reznik

Hi there:

The three things that you list can and do cause xerostomia:

smoking anxiety mouth breathing (sleeping with your mouth open)

All of these can be factors in the development of dry mouth. A common side effect of xerostomia is a bad taste in the mouth or bad breath. This is because without the normal washing action of saliva within the oral cavity, bacteria can build up on the papillae of the tongue as well as any grooves or fissures. That is why it is very important to brush your tongue (gently) every time you brush your teeth. This brushing action, along with attempts to stay well hydrated, well help eliminate the bad odor within your mouth.

Take care,

DR

Previous
DRY EYES/MOUTH
Next
can u help me please

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.