Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Dry Mouth

Hi Dr. Reznik,

I was wondering if there are varying degrees of dru mouth? If one suffers from dry mouth, does that mean that you are always thirsty, or have that 'cottong mouth' feeling, or could one just have the condition and not have any sensation? I've been + for almost a year now and I have this coated tongue, but don't really think I have a dry mouth. My Dr.'s said to just brush it. It doesn't seem to get any better though, and Im not on any meds. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your work here.

Ralph

Response from Dr. Reznik

There are different degrees of xerostomia. Some people can present with thicker saliva or a smaller amount of saliva, but not have any symptoms. In cases of dry mouth that are symptomatic, people do complain of severe dry mouth or "cotton mouth" and need to drink constantly to keep the oral cavity moist.

Even though there is a connection between dry mouth and coated tongue, one does not have to be xerostomic to present with coated tongue. Listen to your doctor and brush your tongue! There are tongue brushing devices that should help alleviate your problem. These tongue brushes should be available at your local drug store.

Regards,

DR

White coating and ulcers on tongue
DRY EYES/MOUTH