Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dry Mouth
Jul 7, 1999

I have had dry mouth after a possible exposure. At six months I had my last Elisa test and it was negative. The white toung and extremely dry month are still with me. Should I get re-tested? I saw and allergist in with he did some blood tests for allergies, but nothing reacated. What else could this be? Is it possible I am infected, but have not seroconverted?

Response from Dr. Reznik

Whereas dry mouth is a common condition in people who have HIV disease, there are many other conditions, medications, and circumstances, that can lead someone to present with dry mouth. For instance, stress alone can cause dry mouth as can the over 500 medications that list xerostomia (dry mouth) as a side effect. There are conditions effecting the salivary glands such as Sjogren's syndrome, salivary gland stones, etc., which have nothing to do with HIV infection that can manifest as severe dry mouth.

Maybe the best way to address your concerns are as follows: I would not consider dry mouth alone a sign or symptom of HIV infection since there are so many other potential causes for this condition.

I hope this help!

DR

Previous
bad breath
Next
How soon after?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.