Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

bad breath

I have noticed that after I take my morning meds of crixivan, norvir, combivir, valtrex, and lipitor, my breath becomes exeedingly funky! I brush, gargle, floss, etc., but it still doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions? My friends, family and coworkers will be most appreicative.

Response from Dr. Reznik

Many medications can cause dry mouth or xerostomia. The problem is that without the normal washing action of saliva, plaque can accumulate faster and bacterial growth enhanced. So now that we've discussed why this happens, I know you're wondering what can you do... My first recommendation would to switch to Colgate's Total toothpaste, which has an antibacterial effect. I can personally attest to the benefits of this product, as I have dry mouth as well and can tell an immediate difference when I use Total.

Also, when was the last time you had a dental check-up? If you have gum (periodontal) disease, there is a greater chance that you will have breathe problems. A good thorough, dental cleaning will help alleviate the problems as well.

I hope this helps!

DR

Touching dental equipment
Dry Mouth