Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

Oral care for HIV positive women

I am the community dental hygienist for our region. I have just been honored with the request to be the dental representative for a committee on HIV positive women's issues. Are there spacific oral concerns for HIV positive women? There seem to be gender spacific issues for general health of HIV positive women and men. Can you give me directions for looking for the most valuble information regarding oral health needs? Thanks

Response from Dr. Reznik

For the most part, there are no differences in the oral health care of HIV+ women vs HIV+ males. The few exceptions would be occurrence of certain lesions, such as Kaposi's sarcoma, which is more frequently seen in men.

For a comprehensive overview of the oral health care needs of people living with HIV, please visit the HIVdent Internet project located at the following URL: http://www.HIVdent.org

Congratulations on your appointment to this important group and best of luck with your efforts!

DR

mandatory hiv test for dentists
HIV in children and oral facts